Activists at Stillwater lakes Forum
September 29, 2020, 10:01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Only registered members are allowed to access this forum. Please login below or click -here- to register an account with Stillwaterlakes.net.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sewer issues and PUC Authority ( Updates )  (Read 18255 times)
GeorgiePorgie

« on: May 21, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

The purpose of the new meeting on May 31-2008 is to determine whether residents of SLCA community should allow the PUC to oversee the financial operation ( sewer fees ) of the sewer corporation with its parent company as the SLCA.

From what I understand, it is the job of the PUC to determine what rate a utility company can charge its customers, whether for sewer service, water service, electric services or anything else that may fall within certain parameters, it is also my understanding that any increase of monthly charges by said service providers, would need the approval of the PUC with a valid reason for approval of such increases.

Our sewer service system, is already at a capacity, for those of you who have not seen the raw sewage spilling over the road, you are lucky you did not have to contend with such a sight. ( I do have pictures and videos but prefer not to post them, posting beautiful pictures of nature in the pocono is far more pleasant )

We are warned of the severity of rate increase if we become under the monitoring of the PUC, the Association may be trying to gain more power by becoming a Bonafide cooperative association. We are told that our fees may dramatically increase, however we are not told about the negative aspects of giving more and more power to the association. As many of you know, we fight for our freedom and many die for our cause, keep that in mind during the coming memorial holiday, we should not relinquish our freedom away .

As many of you can recognize, that in any private community, the two most important services are: the roads and the sewer service, the Sewer service being Number one, since any organism left in its own waste will die. The roads are important but not as important.

Our association had failed us on both, they are always trying to fix and pave the roads, and you wonder why not the sewer, well, it's easy to keep patching the roads, most problems and cracks are topical. The sewer system on the other hand is routed under ground and not easily detected, never the less the problem is there , is not going to go away by itself, it's not visible , yet it's like an internal injury with bleeding.

So where do we go from here:
We owe it to ourselves to get more educated on the subject, the association had an ample time to come up with a solution, but did not.  In the next few days I'll research the sewer rates in other communities ( Mount Pocono, Stroudsburg, East stroudsburg ) and I'll post the figures here.

Our Sewer Service Corporation is also serving at least one non member resident of SLCA, I highly doubt whether our service rate will increase higher than his/her rate, since the PUC will be controlling the rate of that sewer customer as well.

*************************Extra Extra , read all the following ***************************
On Friday May 23 2008 I made few phone calls and here are the information I found out :

For the Mount Pocono area service by Mount Pocono Municipal Authority, the rate is a flat rate of 112.00 Dollars per Quarter for 1 EDU meaning a single family home ( Equivalent Dwelling Unit ), the Mount Pocono Municipal Authority does not operate under the P.U.C.

For Stroud Township it's also a flat rate of 155.00 Dollars per qurter for 1 EDU, also not under the P.U.C.

For East Stroudsburg, it's not a flat rate, However the rates are as follows:
it's a 50.00 Dollars basic charge for 40 Kiloliters ( they are metric in East Stroudsburg ) , basically that's very close to 40 metric tons of sewage. Plus 62 Cents for each additional Kiloliters of sewage.
Please keep in mind, there are no sewer meters to measure the sewer expelled, rather it's based on the amount of water consumed, with a minimum charge of 40 Kiloliters of sewer, but you are forgiven the 10 Kiloliters of water charges so your minimum water charge is at 30 Kiloliters for 33 Dollars. In a way, you are expected not to flush all the water you use into the sewer, so if you are washing your car, or watering your lawn that water is not figured into the formula; and to give you a complete research, each additional Kiloliter of water usage ( above and beyond the 40 Kiloliters ) is billed at the rate of 65 cents per Kiloleters.

Please keep in mind, a Kiloliter of sewage or water, is equivalent to 264 Gallons
One very interesting computation, in case you have a pool, your pool water is credited back to your sewer bill at the end of the pool season if you do the right procedures.

Please keep in mind this does not cover all of East Stroudsburg, and again, not under P.U.C.

For areas serviced by Brodhead creek regional authority, the rates are as follows:
the base charge is $43.95 per Quarter base charge for water, with a usage charge of 23 cents for each 100 Gallons of water
and base charge is $55.00 per quarter base charge for sewer , with 2.05 Dollars for each 1000 Gallons

to find out more about that service, look up www.brodheadcreekregionalauthority.us and this service is not under P.U.C.

Penn Estate developemnet is service by Utilities Inc and it is under the P.U.C. with the following rates
the base charge is 9.20 Dollars a month for water plus usage, and 34.29 Dollars a month for sewer service, the good news is, they are under the P.U.C
their website is www.uiwater.com the customer service department number is 1 800-860-4512 the billing and customer service operate out of Nevada.

I have talked to the field officer regarding PennEstate operation, he was very pleased that the P.U.C. is involved, I was also told that the P.U.C. has a great consumer advocacy department.

As I find more rates of other associations, I will post them here again
the consumer advocacy group toll free number 1-800-684-6560
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:48:35 AM by admin » Logged
STONEHEAD2505
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »

THERE WAS AN OPEN MEETING BACK IN JULY OF 2006
TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION.AT THAT MEETING
THE ASSCO. INDEPENDENT AUDITOR A MR.TAVADA[CPA]
STATED THE THE ASSOC. BORROWED FOUR MILLION
DOLLARS FOR SEWER REPAIR,THEY SPENT ONE POINT
FIVE MILLION AND THE REASON THE ASSO. BORROWED
THE FOUR MILLION IS THAT THE RATE WAS SO LOW
IT WAS GOOD TO BORROW THAT AMOUNT.THEN THE
TOPIC WAS CHANGED TO A FENCE AND DOG BITE ISSUE
AND ATTENDING MEMBERS NEVER GOT TO FINISH ASKING
MR SAVADA ABOUT THE MONEY.
         MY QUESTION THEN AND NOW IS WHERE IS THE
OTHER TWO AND HALF MILLION IF THE ASSOC. SPENT
ONE POINT FIVE.ALSO WHAT DID THE ONE POINT FIVE
FIX???
         MY OPINON I WANT THE PUBLIC UTILITIES COM.
TO STEP IN AND OVER SEE THE SEWER.THEN AND ONLY
 THEN WILL I KNOW HOW MY MONEY IS BEING SPENT.
        I WILL VOTE [NO] SAT.  5/31?Huh 6/21/08
THE SAME OLD,SAME OLD DOES NOT AND HAS NOT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!
CHANGE IS VERY NECESSARY IN THIS COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                           ANNIE MILLS

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:36:11 AM by STONEHEAD2505 » Logged
Mike & Lynne Shelly

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »

Question:

Could we just co-op the Sewer corp? What problems would that cause. What are the other developments doing?

Seems to me either way it's going to cost us money. (So what else is new).

Thanks! Good luck to all of us!

I've never been accused of being the brightest bulb on the string, but becomming a co-op  so far doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Mike Shelly

STONEHEAD2505
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:29:35 PM »

WHY COOP THE SEWER,IF THE ASSO.SEWER GOES BELLY UP WE ARE STILL IN A MESS,THE BOARD WANTS TO ASK FOR FOR MONEY TO STUDY THE PROBLEM!!
IT WAS WRITTEN UP IN POCONO JOURNAL,WEEK OF MAY 15TH 2008.THE BOARD SPENT ONE MILLION FIVE TO FIX THIS VERY PROBLEM.BACK ON 1/25/05 [I STILL HAVE THE NOTICE TO MEMBERS FOR EMERGENCY MEETING]
THE SLCA HAD A EMERGENGY MEMBER MEETING TO ADDRESS THIS SAME PROBLEM.THEY DID NOT DO IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE NOT GOING TO DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME EITHER!!![FOOL ME ONCE,SHAME ON ME,FOOL ME TWICE
SHAME ON YOU.] MORE TO TO THE POINT IF THE MONEY I PAID IN FOR SEWER AND ROAD MAINTANCE SINCE 1975 WAS APPLIED FOR THAT PURPOSE WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS MEETING AT ALL.THE SEWERS WOULD AND  SHOULD BE PERFECT THE SAME FOR THE ROADS.
          WHEN YOU GO TO VOTE ON JUNE 21 BE READY LONG UNINTERUPTED USELESS, MISLEADING, STATEMENTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS AND WATCH HOW YOUR BOARD NEEDLES THE MEMBER WHO TRYS TO  DISAGREE WITH THERE NONSENCE WHEN HE OR SHE FINNALLY GETS A
CHANCE AT THE MICROPHONE!! WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE MEMBERS FIRST. NOW HERE IS MY FAVORITE TOPIC AT VOTING MEETING!!!!PLACING MY VOTE IN A CARDBOARD BOX,SOMETIMES OPEN TOP AND SOMETIMES TAPED
I HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT MR. WILKINS ROLL AT THESE MEETINGS BUT I INTEND TO ASK HIM IF HE IS THERE 6/21/08.
       ALSO REMEMBER ALL RESIDENTS [980 I THINK] MUST BE NOTIFIED
AND THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN GOOD STANDING TO VOTE!!!!
       ASK YOUR BOARD WHY WE ARE NOT A BONA FIDE COMMUNITY!! 
ILL PUT MY TRUST IN THE [PUC]PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION
THEY WILL SEE ITS DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND ALL CUSTOMERS ARE
CHARGED A FAIR PRICE FOR THE SERVICE.MY MONEY WONT BE WASTED ON LEGAL FEES AND STUDIES.
         HOPE TO SEE ALL OF YOU THERE!  HIGH NOON JUNE 21st 2008
             ANNIE MILLS
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:39:54 PM by STONEHEAD2505 » Logged
Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:09 PM »

Sounds to me like we should organize a class action lawsuit against the SLCA if they did mismanage sewer funds, and breach their fiduciary duty.  They are responsible for the "operation, care, upkeep, maintenance, and replacement of the common areas and property of the Association and each of the corporations".  This includes the sewer corporation. 

Some of us have been paying sewer dues for over 20 years and now that it's crumbling beneath us they want to pass it off, there's a moratorium on building because the pipes are in such bad shape that groundwater leaks in, and they have the nerve to ask us to convert it to a co-op making us take responsibility for it.  Personally, I think it's a way for them to pass the liability to us, and to avoid a potential lawsuit for mismanaging sewer funds, and breach of fiduciary duty.  Something is not right...Vote No for the conversion.

Rule of thumb, when the board holds a special meeting, listen to what they want you to do, and do the exact opposite.

PS: What they are saying is: we SLCA do not want to own the sewer corp. because it's a big liability lets turn it into a co-op so the individual residents of SLCA own it. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:25:12 PM by Mike » Logged
Spitfire

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »

Mr. & Mrs. David and Lydia Nieves
P.O. Box 784
Pocono Summit PA, 18346

James J. McNulty, Secretary          Via: First Class mail and
Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission       Facsimile: (717) 783-9526
Commonwealth Keystone Building, 2nd Fl.
400 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
RE: Docket C-20066892

Dear Mr. McNulty:

I am writing this letter to inform you that as home owners within the Stillwater Lakes community, my wife and I oppose the plan that Stillwater Lakes Civic Association has in effect to convert our community into a cooperative, whether it be solely for the purpose of maintaining control of the sewer system, or in an underhanded attempt to take further control of our homes.

My wife and I have been homeowners at Stillwater Lakes for the past three years and within that time we have never received notices for any meetings whatsoever. This would include the notice pertaining to the cooperative conversion. They only sent them out to a select few. We are currently working diligently to inform all home and/or lot owners of the matter at hand. Thus far, we have informed approximately 50 home owners and have found that none of them have received the notice in question. We have absolutely no trust in management and strongly feel that their intentions are not to send out notices to the remaining home owners (whether in good standing or not). This association has been quite tactful at deceiving the homeowners. They keep us in the dark about very important monetary issues. Many decisions have been made without our consent, but we refuse to allow the association to bully us into making what we believe as being the worst decision to date. They make ill claims that we as home owners will pay dearly for allowing PUC to take over our sewer system. Their rationale for this is that the current system is in great need of repair. We feel that our contributions to the very same system has clearly been mismanaged by the association and that in fact, we would probably be better off doing everything possible to have PUC step in to regulate it all.

I respectfully request that you intervene by not allowing the association to continue with their proven mismanagement of the sewer system.

Sincerely yours,

Mr. David Nieves

Ernie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:48:39 AM »

Hello Neighbors.
I apologize in advance for this lengthy post, but I think it is a crucial one. Of course in the end you all are individuals and I trust have the intelligence to make a well educated, fact based decision.
Please do not construe this as a personal attack as I would like to quote and address some of your comments
I am not new to the community nor a board member, but I am new to the Website & I consider the administrators , Mike and Noreen friends.  I believe this is a noble attempt at bringing the community together for the “better” of all.
I have taken my time in reading most if not all of the posts, especially the ones concerning our sewer systems and the suggestion by the board of becoming a co-operative community.    I clearly see that although intentions are good there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding.  Mike recently asked me my thoughts on this whole Co-Op and PUC situation to be addressed at the annual meeting. I honestly told him what I thought based on what little information I had, but I promised that I would personally make it a point to find out as much of the facts as I could.  What I found is that the decision to become a Co-Op is for the greater good, and in no means a plight to control anything or anyone, much less take anyone’s property or rights.  NO ONE IS LOSING THEIR HOME as a result of this. Let me try and convey what I found out.  Please know that this information is public and not from the board of directors.
Georgie porgie said:“From what I understand, it is the job of the PUC to determine what rate a utility company can charge its customers, whether for sewer service, water service, electric services or anything else that may fall within certain parameters, it is also my understanding that any increase of monthly charges by said service providers, would need the approval of the PUC with a valid reason for approval of such increases.” -You are correct so far. I have taken the time to research the PPUC a little further.   Feel free to do so yourselves www.puc.state.pa.us 

In regards to Penn Estates you stated…
Penn Estate developemnet is service by Utilities Inc and it is under the P.U.C. with the following rates
the base charge is 9.20 Dollars a month for water plus usage, and 34.29 Dollars a month for sewer service, the good news is, they are under the P.U.C
   - George, The Utilies Inc. Company owns and manages over 300,000 consumers throughout the United States.  It makes sense that they are regulated by the PUC. Realize they own and maintain Water supply and Wastewater systems.
PUC regulates the Utilities Inc CO., not Penn Estate. It is my understanding that we would be the first “community “  to be  regulated by PUC.  As there are no other communities being regulated by PUC. Believe me, if this happens to us it will spread to all other communities. Not a bad thing if your system is up to par and working efficiently. Not so our case.
 www.uiwater.com   I researched their site as well and looked up the annual report for Penn Estates. You can do the same. It seems they are mainly documenting the “Water  System and not the Waste Water, infact there was no information for wastewater management.

Mr. Mike Shelley’s question…Could we just co-op the Sewer corp? What problems would that cause. What are the other developments doing?
Seems to me either way it's going to cost us money. (So what else is new).
Thanks! Good luck to all of us! becomming a co-op  so far doesn't seem to be a good idea.”

That is exactly what the Board of directors is suggesting. AGAIN:There is no way they can control or take our homes. Please relinquish this thought.  SLCA was given an ultimatum. Either to become a Co-Op or be regulated By the PUC.    The PPUC is an associate member of NARUC ( National Association of regulatory Utility Commissioners) NARUC is an association representing the State public service commissioners who regulate essential utility services, such as electricity, gas, telecommunications, water, and transportation, throughout the country. As regulators, our members are charged with protecting the public and ensuring that rates charged by regulated utilities are fair, just, and reasonable. The PPUC is on their Board of directors Treasurer is Mr. Wendell F. Holland of the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. The other members are from other states.
You can visit & research ion your own at www.naruc.org .  This is where the PPUC gets its backing( The Federal Government).  Now, you would say this is a good thing for our community, herein lies our dilemma.  SLCA OWNS THE SEWER CORP. (Guess what? That’s you and me folks) Not the Board of directors.  We are responsible for its maintenance and management.
 Someone else posted the following:“Sounds to me like we should organize a class action lawsuit against the SLCA if they did mismanage sewer funds, and breach their fiduciary duty.  They are responsible for the "operation, care, upkeep, maintenance, and replacement of the common areas and property of the Association and each of the corporations".  This includes the sewer corporation.[/size] - Really? Sue SLCA? Most people here are griping about the measly fees (compared to other communities)we have to pay now, and you suggest spending an undetermined amount of money, to basically sue ourselves? The board has been sued before and where do you think the legal fees came from? Ourselves.
Some of us have been paying sewer dues for over 20 years and now that it's crumbling beneath us they want to pass it off, there's a moratorium on building because the pipes are in such bad shape that groundwater leaks in, and they have the nerve to ask us to convert it to a co-op making us take responsibility for it. -With all due respect, WE “ARE” RESPONSIBLE FOR IT. We have had and still have the liability!

Rule of thumb, when the board holds a special meeting, listen to what they want you to do, and do the exact opposite. –Smaaart.  Is this what you want us to do? I’d like to give the people here the benefit of the doubt and believe them capable of making their own decisions.
PS: What they are saying is: we SLCA do not want to own the sewer corp. -WE OWN IT MIKE.

Getting back to the PPUC,   They are established and abide by Pennsylvania Code. You can visit their site www.pacode.com Chapter 94. Is the MUNICIPAL WASTE MANAGEMENT section.
PLEASE READ CLEARLY THIS IS WHAT CONFRONTS US AS A COMMUNITY…
If we are to be regulated by the PUC They will mandate our sewer system be brought up to par and at least meet minimal statndards . We as the owners are responsible for the “ELIGBLE COST”. According to a PENNSYLVANIA STATUTE – as defined in the “DEFINITIONS” section of the document … I quote:
"Eligible cost." The cost of all labor, materials, machinery and equipment, lands, property, rights and easements, plans and specifications, surveys or estimates of costs and revenues, pre-feasibility studies, engineering and legal services, and all other expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, construction, improvement, expansion, extension, repair or rehabilitation of all or part of a project.
 Also:
Project." The eligible costs associated with the acquisition, construction, improvement, expansion, extension, repair , rehabilitation or security measures of all or part of any facility or system, whether publicly or, in the case of paragraph (1) or (2), privately owned:
    (1) for the collection, treatment or disposal of  wastewater,  including industrial waste;   

THIS WILL COST MILLIONS! WE (SLCA) ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING THAT BILL.  I GUARANTEE YOU THE PPUC IS NOT GOING TO PAY A PENNY OF IT!    If you think you can’t afford the fees now…. Just wait.
Once we are regulated it is my understanding that it is like taxes, MANDATORY.  If for some reason you cannot pay, you have the option of going on a payment plan. If you default..Now you may want to start worrying about losing your property
If we vote yes to the CO-OP of the Sewer corporation there are “Government Grants” available for such undertakings.  NARUC states this in their website.  The US grants are not offered to private communites.
LOOK, I know that there are a lot of people unhappy with the board of directors.  I know there are as lot of questions that need to be answered. I believe if you keep digging you will find those answers. I know there are allegations and suspicions of corruption.  But does anyone here have any concrete evidence?... of anything?  If so, What are they?  Come forward with it, really in a court of law Concrete Evidence is what counts not circumstantial. All I hear are questions being asked and a lot of hearsay, and nothing but NEGATIVITY. Come to think of it has anyone offered any positive energy here?
 If you simply have a problem with the Board? Okay then here is a very simple yet effective solution! APPLY & BECOME a board member yourself!  Then you can see and will know firsthand the ins and outs of these people. Keep in mind these people are “volunteers” who by the way, pay their dues and taxes like you and me. This means that you have to give up your personal time away from your family. Try and do the best you can for your community, because you also live there.  Do you think you can make a difference? What would you do? How would you do it? I have also heard yearnings for dismantling the board and doing away with the community.  I would have to ask those for this outcome. How on earth does that help property owners?  In my opinion that would do more harm than good.
Who will maintain anything? Who will plow our roads? I bet we are not on the townships priority list. It would be days before they get done. Who will continue whatever maintenance is being done now, You? Please, always think things through carefully and sensibly. Keep the end result in mind. I know that there are people who are set in their ways and even though you clearly show them the color white they’ll say it is black, & that is fine for that is their right, but make your own decisions based on facts look into things for yourselves. Don’t just say, Wow this must be true because it came from someone who’s not on the board. You just don’t know. We must stop this aggression it is no way to solve anything. If you declare war on war you are just as guilty for the injustices of the very war you say you are against, and in the end you will have solved nothing (Understand?).  I hope that everyone in this community keep an open mind and are able to make their own educated decisions and not follow blindly anyone with a personal ax to grind if so again I say, in the end WE the community lose.
Any way, thank you for allowing me share these findings and express my personal opinion.
Good luck to us all.
Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »

With all due respect Ernie,

The board of directors and our management company is responsible for the state of our roads, our community and yes our sewer corporation, not you and I and definitely not the members of this community.  And although a lawsuit against SLCA would be suing yourself, you can also sue each individual for not exercising their fiduciary duty.  This is to send a message, that we are serious about our community. 

Quoting a letter from our previous counsel Alan Price Young,

"We wish to point out affirmatively that we have made many recommendations to the Association and issued legal opinions in support of those recommendations which either have not been acted upon or have been found unacceptable by the Association Board of Directors.  As we have cautioned your Board, there may be substantial adverse consequences to individual directors and to the Association for any board member's failing to meet legal standards of due care and to comply with the requirements of loyalty and honesty as fiduciaries of the Association.  These are very serious matters.   "

The adverse consequences this lawyer was referring to has contributed to the current state of our community (Roads, Sewer, etc.).  If you want to be responsible for this mess then vote for the Co-op, but if you want truth and honesty once and for all, let the PUC come in.  The PUC regulates the central water system now, which was a community asset that was in disrepair and then sold for next to nothing, and since the sale I've been told the price when down. 

I appreciate your input since the more information we have the better, but don't you question that if this is such a good thing, why keep it under wraps for so long, spring it on us at the last minute (at least they tried), and now give us no information?  The attorney told George he wouldn't give us any info until the meeting.  Why would that be?  To make sure we have no time to weed through the lies?  Have you seen the letters with the lawyer lying to the PUC?  Does that lead you to believe everything is on the up and up?

Vote No for the Co-op.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:52:16 AM by Mike » Logged
Spitfire

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:25 PM »

Hello Ernie, I respect the fact that you are the first to take a stand in what you believe in. This is exactly what we as "The angry home owners" are doing as well.

This will be a short post; however, when I get back home this evening, I will add to it.

When we talk about facts, here are the ones that stand out. The Association was given the option to convert to cooperative back in January 2008...why did it take a little over three months to send out notices of such a great decision to be made, (and to a select few only) and with little to no information about it.

Why is it that to date no one I've spoken to, including my household, has received the notice. The fact here is that the Wilkens attorney stated in his letter to Mr. McNulty that everyone would be receiving that notice, whether in good standing or not. Why is it that he refuses to give out any information about the cooperative until the day of the vote. What is there to hide?

to be continued...

Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »

Hey Ernie,

I'm glad you too are trying to get the facts. 

I just spoke with Kevin at the Attorney General's Consumer Advocate office and he said they get complaints all the time from cooperatives, but there's nothing they can do to help them since they don't fall under the PUC.  He said the PUC is strictly there to govern and regulate to make sure the consumer doesn't get taken.  He just spoke with someone who's not under PUC who had their utilities shut off and there's nothing they can do.  In fact, the PUC doesn't even get involved until there is a complaint by one of the customers.  And he said that cooperatives can do what they want since they govern themselves.  He said cooperatives do not have to give you payment plans, but under PUC they do.  He said he believes there are no costs unless they do something wrong.  Under PUC they must show just cause to raise rates.  Under a cooperative they can raise them as much as they want.

He also felt that our attorney being the management company's attorney is a conflict of interest.  I think the community needs to get a lawyer that will look out for our best interest, not Wilkins', and I don't think we should make such a drastic change until then.

I'm not saying anything against the board members who are being misled by the lawyer, but we are obviously being misled.  Why else would they withhold  all information until the meeting, and then expect us to vote on the spot?  Don't they want us to make an educated and informed decision?  Look at the postings of Ralston's letters to the PUC, call Jim McNulty's office at (717) 772-7777 or Kevin at the Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocate at 800.684.6560 and ask them yourself.
Ernie

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

Hi guys.
Thanks for your responses. I think this is a great debate. It is great that you are questioning all these situations, but you must back up anything with facts and evidence. 
- Who will be responsible for bringing the Sewer system up to standards? They (the PUC)WILL mandate that the sewer be maintained and restored. If they stand for consumer advocacy it is in the consumers best interest. It is my understanding that the PPUC was the one that proposed SLCA become a Co-OP in the first place.  I hope there is a PPUC representative present at the meeting to clarify this.-Who said the boarde was notified back in January? It is my understanding this was brought to their attention with in the last Month or two.
_ In regards to this allegation of the Lawyer Lying to the PUC, I really believe there is a huge misconception here fueled by an ever defensive stand taken by some. I noticed the discrepency in the dates and can imagin that the first set of letters went out to all those in good standing, when by law EVERYONE has to be noitified and given at least 15 days notice which Makes sense to me why the meeting date was changed. This also might explain discrepancy in any dates.
- Who are you really against and who are you for? The "Board of Directors represents SLCAWhich board member will you sue? For what exactly? Who will pay for that? Litigation is costly and time consuming. These are just as valid questions I think need to be asked.
- Anyone who does not pay their Utility bill is subject to dirruption of service. The Utiltiy Co. reserve that right.
- "He believes there are no costs".  It sounds like he's not sure...
- if you did not get the first notice, it may be due to a question of good standing. Of the change  of the meeting, I am sure it is in the mail.
- I do not know or everheard of any legal council expelling information on legal matters prematurely. Statements can and always will be Taken out of context, misinterpreted and misdistributed. It is perfectly normal legal practice.
-What ever they have to tell us is expected to be presented at the annual meeting. I am sure there will be facts and ample opportunity for questions to be answered. If after all that you are still confused or in the dark, it is your perogative to vote no, but please listen out for the information you so crave in order to make the correct decision. I am sure the answers there. I will do the same. I will not tell you that I will vote YES or NO. I will however make my choice when the time comes  based on the facts and the satisfaction of my questions. I refuse to go there with a pre-conceived notion.  Let's listen out for facts and not be so Paranoid, or worse spread  Paranoia. I heard form several upset neighbors that were  approached in a not too welcoming mann er by some person(s) affiliated here (GP). Although the intention is understood, I strongly disagree in trying this kind of "terror" tactic on our friends and neighbors.  No one should be subjected to this, and while it may work with any one naive enough to blindly believe, I tell you it certainly did not sit well with many of the approached who are intelligent enough to ask questions first and decide later. Let's look really well before we leap. I hope there is a nice cushy landing for all of us.
- Okay, I understand Noreen has been accepted to join the board BRAVO! I applaud this I think it is a step in the right direction. Congratulations Noreen!

Ernie

Ernie

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »

P.S. Excuse my spelling. I am typing as fast as I can because, I have too much to do, and too little time to do it. I am sure you understand.

Ernie
STONEHEAD2505
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »

I RECEIVED A NOTICE 5/30/08  FROM NEPA MANAGEMENT

THE MEETING TO DISCUSS AND VOTE FOR PUC HAS BEEN
     CHANGED TO JUNE 21st  TIME 12:OO NOON  PLACE THE CLUBHOUSE!!!

I GUESS THEY DO NOT EXPECT TO MANY TO SHOW UP!!   

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:33:38 PM by STONEHEAD2505 » Logged
Spitfire

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »

Hi Ernie,

In your last post you stated,

"It is great that you are questioning all these situations, but you must back up anything with facts and evidence." 

You also stated, "Who said the boarde was notified back in January? It is my understanding this was brought to their attention with in the last Month or two."

Well in the name of a great poker game, and to answer your question...here's the last card I'll show from our deck. (See Attachment)(Exhibit A)
The only reason I am even entertaining this one is that I want the "Intelligent ones that this didn't sit well with" to make a decision based on "back up anything with facts and evidence." If anyone still believes that "this was brought to their attention with in the last Month or two.", then who is "...one naive enough to blindly believe...". The association did know as of January 28th about this whole cooperative thing. If it's such a great positive thing for the community, then why didn't they notify the whole kid and kaboodle from the very start?

Above I did mention that I would only show one card, but I just can't resist. I'm glad you willfully stated, "by law EVERYONE has to be noitified and given at least 15 days notice." and...Oops, no more cards. Wanna call?

By the way...spelling don't Kount.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:41:43 PM by Spitfire » Logged
Mike

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »

If you want to know what lead up to this mess, read the transcript to the PUC Public Meeting held November 29, 2007, you could read it at http://www.stillwaterlakes.net/Legal/112907.pdf.

Becoming a cooperative association is equivilent to giving away your rights.  You can not sell your house without board approval.  You think it's bad now, vote for coop.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: